When my daughter is home for a weekend, she and my wife will inevitably play Yahtzee. During the Summer of 2013 I was getting into board game design, so I got the idea to create a custom Yahtzee game as a Christmas gift for my wife.
First up were the dice. We have four children so it worked out great. I purchased d6 dice with indented faces that would accept stickers. I found humorous head shots of all of us and printed the 30 stickers, 5 dice X 6 sides. Then came the tedious process of getting the stickers in place. The results weren’t too bad.
Next up was the scoresheet. Using Photoshop, I replaced all the die images with the head shots. Then added a few special bonuses based upon family features.
For the packaging I purchased a round cardboard craft box from Hobby Lobby. Then gave it a sparkly purple paint job and painted the inside white.
I then purchased a dice cup and added a green felt/foam liner to the lid so it could double as a dice tray.
For the final touch, I created a graphic insert to give it a faux professional look.
Couple of final thoughts.
- Should have used an ink jet to print the die stickers. The laser printing is flecking off in places.
- The head shots added a new dynamic to the game. For example, a player has rolled four of one person and they just need one more for a
YahtzeeFordzee. If they roll someone else on that last roll, then amazingly, that someone is responsible for the player not getting the Fordzee.